cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Lindesay <...@lindesay.co.nz>
Subject Re: Read Property Behaviour (CAY-1512)
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2011 08:13:42 GMT
Hi Andrus;

Maybe the following two method comments may help other people understand
what these methods are for...

---

1) readProperty

This method exists for the benefit of the framework.  It will allow
properties of the data object to be read.  This method is not intended
to be overridden to provide additional functionality.  Some processing
such as faulting may occur in addition to the data being returned.  If
there is no value for a property then <code>null</code> will be
returned.  Null will also be returned in cases where the a property is
requested which is not modelled.

---

2) readPropertyDirectly

This method exists for the benefit of the framework.  It will allow
properties of the data object to be read.  This method is not intended
to be overridden to provide additional functionality.  Additional
processing such as faulting will not occur as part of retrieving this
property.  If there is no value for a property then <code>null</code>
will be returned.  Null will also be returned in cases where the a
property is requested which is not modelled.

---

Is that about right?

It is a bit of a shame that I want to implement "readProperty" and this
is already taken by the framework!

cheers.

> Yeah, probably need to think about it. At the same time it is great when new extensions
are created on top of Cayenne "platform", so if you implement an open source key-value-coding
extension package solving specific problems, definitely mention it to the community.

--
Andrew Lindesay
www.silvereye.co.nz