cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Java 6 for 3.1?
Date Sun, 30 Jan 2011 10:05:02 GMT
I guess we bag the upgrade for now then. At least the next time we discuss it, we will already
know that there are no objections, except for this specific edge case of PPC and early 32-bit
Intel Macs (I actually have one from the later category, used by my company QA).

(Wonder if there is a 32-bit version of OpenJDK 7?)

Andrus

On Jan 28, 2011, at 5:46 PM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> On 29/01/11 12:36 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>> Since Java 5 has been EOL'd for some time, and Java 7 seems to be close to GA, (and
there's no more Java 5 on OS X, so I've no idea whether Cayenne is really java 5 compatible
:-)), how about we make Java 6 a minimal JVM requirement for Cayenne 3.1? Keeping things tight
and all that.

> -1 for personal reasons... I use Cayenne in a product which is deployed to 1.5 and cannot
be upgraded since it runs on PPC Macs. I was really hoping to upgrade to 3.1 quite soon in
that product.

> But also, we have no idea how many people are using Cayenne in enterprise situations
where they don't get to control the JVM. Last time we moved from 1.4 to 1.5 there was a good
reason: generics. This time around, there is nothing really to be gained and we immediately
remove any PPC Macs from the userbase.

> If anyone is using Cayenne, not for a big web application server in a data centre, but
out in the field on a 10 year old desktop or (who knows) porting it to Android (Dalvik is
a 'copy' of Java 5) for some new tablet application, they may well be targeting Java 5. Personally
I still have a couple of PPC machines in the office and they are only 4 years old. Many of
my customers have refresh cycles much longer than 4 years, especially in the education industry.