cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <mgen...@masslight.net>
Subject Re: deprecate XML package in 3.1
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 14:35:37 GMT
I've never actually used XML serialization with Cayenne.  I suggest,
though, asking on the user list who is using it and their thoughts on
the matter.  Should be a bigger net there.

mrg

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> I suggest to deprecate XML serialization package in 3.1 and remove it in 3.2. There were
past discussions why it is not a working solution for real life applications (DOM, singletons,
etc.). Also real life serialization/deserialization patterns are different from what we provide
there (at least I couldn't adopt it to any of my own needs). And finally there's nobody around
willing to address these deficiencies.

> Some time back I started on an alternative serialization package, currently checked in
to sandbox:

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/sandbox/cayenne-serialization/
>
> It uses XStream and is based on an idea similar to ROP - serialization specification
is defined like to prefetches in a select query - there's a root entity, and there's a bunch
of prefetch paths for related objects that need to be serialized together with the root objects.
It works, but has some of rough edges and missing features. Also would be really cool to port
that to JAXB, as JAXB is a part of J2SE these days. As I won't be able to work on this any
time soon, it requires other motivated individuals to make it production-ready.

> In any event I don't see a point in keeping the existing XML package regardless of the
outcome of the replacement, and would like to phase it out.