cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Inject Questions
Date Sat, 25 Sep 2010 16:42:59 GMT

> I can see using Inject being messy in my Tapestry 5 applications as I
> have to start using the full path to the Inject annotation every time
> since T5 provides an Inject annotation, too

@Inject is for internal use within Cayenne and for writing Cayenne extensions. Unlike Tapestry
we won't be forcing our DI engine for the entire application.

> It appears you can no longer create a DataContext.  I finally found
> the Inject annotation and tried it, but I get a null pointer exception
> because things aren't bootstrapped.  Is there a simple way to do this
> now that I'm missing?  (I'm still looking through the code.)

Unfortunately I haven't documented everything yet, but you can still find some examples and
rudimentary docs in the upgrade notes:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/main/trunk/tutorials/tutorial/src/main/java/org/apache/cayenne/tutorial/Main.java
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/main/trunk/docs/doc/src/main/resources/UPGRADE.txt

Specifically the bootstrap code now looks like this (taken from tutorial) :

ServerRuntime cayenneRuntime = new ServerRuntime("cayenne-UntitledDomain.xml");
ObjectContext context = cayenneRuntime.getContext();

Not really harder than it was, except that there's no singleton, so you need to decide how
to store/access ServerRuntime instance (e.g. inside Tapestry DI engine).

Andrus