cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] release 3.0.1
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:32:48 GMT
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Andrus Adamchik
<andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>> Does the code build:  cayenne-3.0.1.tar.gz -- I found no instructions
>> on building the code from the source package we distribute.  I don't
>> see any build files either.
>
> No it doesn't, and it has never been the goal (ok, not since 1.0 when we
> provided Ant buildfile). It is practically impossible to do that as the
> build system is ... well, complex. I am sure most non-C Apache projects
> won't let you build from sources in the distro.

My understanding is that we are required to release source packages that build:

http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what
 What Must Every ASF Release Contain?

Every ASF release must contain a source package, which must be
sufficient for a user to build and test the release provided they have
access to the appropriate platform and tools. The source package must
be cryptographically signed by the Release Manager with a detached
signature; and that package together with its signature must be tested
prior to voting +1 for release. Folks who vote +1 for release may
offer their own cryptographic signature to be concatenated with the
detached signature file (at the Release Manager's discretion) prior to
release.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if we haven't been doing this,
then we are not releasing legitimate ASF releases.

I know this is incredibly inconvenient and will probably require a
great deal of work to fix, but if we're going to be an apache project,
we have to follow the apache release rules.

I have to vote -1.

If I've somehow misinterpreted the release requirements, let me know.