cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: 3.0.1 - next steps
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 15:51:43 GMT
I am very much in favor of a single download per environment. So that users don't have to hunt
for the pieces they need. They get all in one file. So I don't see why we should change our
current practice, and in fact think it is quite elegant. Haven't seen a single complaint about
it.

Ok, we need a separate cayenne-src.tar.gz for reasons unrelated to the end users, but why
change anything else?

Andrus

On Aug 18, 2010, at 6:36 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
> Everyone is going to have different preferences.
>
> Personally, I like to have the src, sometimes the docs, but don't care
> to much for any of the rest of it.   And I don't use maven.
>
> I think if our basic source package contains the "extras", then the
> binary package can just contain the minimal parts needed to make
> Cayenne run.   In my opinion, the best package schemes allow you to
> download the binary package, then download the source/docs/examples
> package over the top of it.
>
> I wonder how practical it might be to also create a dependencies
> package, something that only contains all of the third-party jars
> needed to make things work.  That could address some of the concerns
> which were mentioned before.   And as a separate package, it wouldn't
> inconvenience those who don't need it.
>
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Andrus Adamchik
> <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>> I see.
>>
>> We have to have a sane number of downloads. That's the only reason we have packaging
that we have now. Don't see anything wrong with a few extra megabytes of stuff in there. I
am personally very annoyed with other projects not including the docs for instance.