cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Cayenne 3.0 cache RefreshQuery for NamedQuery
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2010 07:38:01 GMT
I totally understand what you are saying about simplicity and
certainly don't want to sacrifice any of that here. Along these lines
I am trying to avoid adding special cases of mapping that are not
generic enough, which actually makes things more complex in the end.
Both for us, as we end up with too many if/else cross-feature
interactions throughout the stack, and for our users, as there are too
many abstractions and no consistent picture of what the framework is
about. We tried hard to get rid of a few of those in 3.0, such as
"derived DbEntities" and will keep doing it in 3.1 (such as merging
EJBQL and SelectQuery). So I am being extra cautious now to avoid the
next round  :-) At the same time this shouldn't stop us from trying
and experimenting with things of course...

So back to the issue at hand. Performance... Indeed, there is some
overhead looking up entity listeners. I think it will be much much
less with query listeners - a single HashMap lookup vs. recursively
scanning through the entity class hierarchy (which we should optimize
too by caching all listeners per class hierarchy). BTW, with listeners
you may even optimize your 8000 SQLTemplates per transaction scenario,
as a listener can batch groups to refresh and then refresh them at
once at the end of the transaction, instead of doing it 8000 times.

The second aspect is simplicity of mapping. Current entity listeners
mapping is not entirely intuitive (mainly because of its JPA roots
with insane hierarchical listener rules), and I'd like to simplify
that in the future. One angle of attack is to start using annotations
for callbacks/listeners, so that we don't have to map the method names
in the Modeler at all. For queries it will be simpler even without
annotations, as initially we will have a single event type ("post-
commit"), and you will have to simply specify the listener class (or
multiple classes) per query and that's it.

So do you think this is still too complex? (This is an honest
question... when I looked closer at the problem, I don't feel that
much opposed to your original solution, just trying to see if we can
reuse an abstraction that we already have).

> or just put "removeCacheGroup" method invocation
> after each "performNotSelectionQuery".
> Second one seems even easier... and already available in 3.0...

If all queries invalidate the same cache group, then yes, you should
totally use it.

Andrus