cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Vertical inheritance
Date Sun, 30 May 2010 17:44:48 GMT
A bit of a progress on vertical inheritance. I created some unit tests
(committed, r949533) with a simple case of vertical inheritance
mapping, and after some poking around decided that we don't need to
redo all select translators from scratch (CAY-1136). The last time my
motivation for some serious refactoring was caused by the need to
support UNION queries for horizontal inheritance. With vertical we can
squeeze by with our existing code, which is actually pretty capable in
terms of adding extra columns to SELECT clause and extra joins to FROM
- all thanks to the work done for the OUTER JOIN and flattened
attributes tasks.

Locally I already have a patch that builds the right SELECT for deep
vertical inheritance fetch, just need to a few more moving parts
before I can commit it. I am doing this work under CAY-1090 Jira.

Approaches to Mapping Inheritance
---------------------------------

Currently we don't require users to specify inheritance semantics
explicitly. We guess it instead (not unlike EOF). Just select a
superclass ObjEntity and (optionally) subclass DbEntity and we'll
derive the rest. In case of vertical inheritance I wrote the code to
determine the inheritance DbRelationship out of all relationships
between the super and sub tables (1..1 PK-based relationship).

JPA for instance does require explicit inheritance semantics property
set on the superclass. Should we do the same for sanity sake? E.g. to
prevent unsupported combinations of inheritance types in a single
hierarchy. I don't know what those unsupported combinations will be at
the end (i.e. how smart our algorithms will end up being and how
extensive the test suite we'll have to say what is supported and
what's not). Having a hard rules (with validation done by the Modeler)
will make things much less ambiguous (at the expense of some
flexibility). E.g. back in the EOF days I barely used inheritance, as
it was all based on implicit mapping rules between super and
subclasses, so I never bothered to understand them (did it also
require to flatten super attributes?? My current design won't).

Thoughts on that?

Modeler
-------

Here are also a few Modeler shortcomings that I discovered when
creating the tests.

* ObjAttribute info dialog gets confused about attribute origin, so
you can't easily create super attribute overrides, or revert back to
non-overridden super. (haven't looked at the relationships yet)
* We need to decide on the basics of inheritance mapping and implement
Modeler validation based on that (see above).

Andrus