cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Vertical inheritance
Date Tue, 18 May 2010 22:19:53 GMT
Andrus,

In the horizontal inheritance jira issue, you mentioned the following:
=================
Unfortunately we dropped the ball on horizontal inheritance in 3.0 due
to the lack of time by people who could make it happen (the
implementation is rather deep and involved). I very much like to
revive this effort in 3.1 beyond a few Modeler patches that we have in
place so far. It is in my queue right after the new DI stuff.

The primary JSF/JPA team project I have been working on is now
considering switching to Cayenne and dropping JPA.   One of the
concerns is vertical inheritance support.   Any thoughts on how long
it might take and how much effort is involved before vertical
inheritance is a first-class citizen?   If we switch, it is likely
that I will be able to contribute toward this effort -- it was hard to
find time to work on Cayenne when I wasn't doing any paid projects
involving Cayenne.