cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Vertical inheritance
Date Mon, 31 May 2010 12:00:46 GMT

On May 31, 2010, at 7:48 AM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

> I didn't completely understand the question, so I'm not sure if this
> answers it.

I guess the question was whether we want this in Cayenne mapping in
some form:

    @Inheritance(strategy = InheritanceType.JOINED)

or guess the strategy from other mapping clues (the later is our
current approach). It was more of a discussion item on what are the
benefits of either approach.

> @DiscriminatorColumn(name="object_type")

Actually my plan is to use OUTER joins in Cayenne SELECT queries, so
entity type will be determined from the presence of the non-null
joined ID column in the result set and explicit discriminator ("entity
qualifier expression" in Cayenne terms) won't be needed.

Andrus