cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Supported versions
Date Thu, 20 May 2010 09:00:08 GMT
>> Are we advanced enough to have a formal policy of supporting two
>> major versions of Cayenne? If so, something we should put on the
>> web site?

Absolutely. I think we do need a clear road map and a page on the
website (not on wiki) listing what releases we support and what is the
sunset date for the oldest of those. When closing the Jiras against
discontinued releases, we need to make sure they do not affect newer
releases, otherwise such jiras simply need to be rescheduled.

Now the question of what we put on that road map. here are my thoughts:

1. Now: I think that while 1.2 and 2.0 are the same thing, it helps if
we announce now that we stopped supporting 1.2. 1.2 adds to the effort
of preparing a release, as it is done from SourceForge infrastructure.
So lets encourage the upgrade.

2. Nearest future: I'd also like to discontinue support for 2.0.x at
some point (maybe after we have a 3.0.1 maintenance out). The upgrade
path to 3.0 is rather trivial, so I don't see why we should keep it
around. Also the new 3.1 doesn't support upgrade from 2.0, only from
3.0, so this is yet another reason to encourage people to upgrade now
to avoid pain in the future.

Evgeny, you committed a bunch of fixes to the 2.0 branch, so maybe you
can give us your point of view on that. I am open to anything,
including making a 2.0.5 before announcing 2.0.x sunset, or keeping it
around longer, but if we have no good reasons to expect a 2.0.6, I'd
rather we encourage our users to upgrade to 3.0.

Andrus