cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Lindesay <...@lindesay.co.nz>
Subject Re: Small Patch
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2010 23:53:08 GMT
Hi Andrus;

Thanks for the reply -- would you like me to change my patch over to use "@size", see if I
can understand and patch the "Cayenne.readNestedProperty(..)" and then email you an updated
patch file?

cheers.

>>> * This type of key-value coding creates property naming conflicts. EJBQL (see
above) solves that by treating "size" as a function, not a property. If I am not mistaken
WO would use something like @count to disambiguate naming, no?

>> WebObjects does support "@count", but also "count".  I guess "@size" gets around
the naming conflict of entity attributes so maybe that is a better way to go.  I think that
would be a valid approach.  Too much functionality in such nested properties rather than controller
classes I think is not the way I would go, but this is so frequently used that it is worth
it.  I guess "size(...)" function would work, but I think I prefer "@size" on the end of the
nested property and to not create a system of using functions.

> +1.
>

>>> * To be consistent it would be nice to make it work in expressions across the
board, i.e. not only for in-memory evaluation, but also for SelectQuery qualifiers

>> That would be useful, but not really necessary straight away.
>>
>>> (EJBQL query supports that already, although with a different syntax: SIZE(author.books)).
>>
>> Sorry I don't know too much about EJBQL at this stage so I will have to let you make
a call on that.

> Yeah, I just wanted to outline what else needs to be done for this to become a first
class citizen in Cayenne. One other thing I forgot is Expression.fromString(..) parsing. Anyways
that can be added later.

>> Another thing which may help me implement this for my own use is if the "readNestedProperty(..)"
method were to iteratively be applied to DataObjects rather than to eventually hit Cayenne.readNestedProperty(..)
and iterate in there.  The entire nested property is currently parsed at the start, but if
it iterated through the "readNestedProperty(..)" methods of the data objects then just the
first part of the nested property could be 'parsed off'.  The number of strings created from
parsing the nested property would only be 2x the number compared to the current implementation.

> +1. o.a.c.Cayenne class can call DataObject's implementation internally (instead of doing
it the other way), and if the root object is not a DataObject, call generic o.a.c.reflect.PropertyUtils.getProperty

> Andrus

___
Andrew Lindesay
www.lindesay.co.nz