cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Lindesay <...@lindesay.co.nz>
Subject Re: Small Patch
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 19:50:54 GMT
Hi Andrus;

> * This type of key-value coding creates property naming conflicts. EJBQL (see above)
solves that by treating "size" as a function, not a property. If I am not mistaken WO would
use something like @count to disambiguate naming, no?

WebObjects does support "@count", but also "count".  I guess "@size" gets around the naming
conflict of entity attributes so maybe that is a better way to go.  I think that would be
a valid approach.  Too much functionality in such nested properties rather than controller
classes I think is not the way I would go, but this is so frequently used that it is worth
it.  I guess "size(...)" function would work, but I think I prefer "@size" on the end of the
nested property and to not create a system of using functions.

> * To be consistent it would be nice to make it work in expressions across the board,
i.e. not only for in-memory evaluation, but also for SelectQuery qualifiers

That would be useful, but not really necessary straight away.

> (EJBQL query supports that already, although with a different syntax: SIZE(author.books)).

Sorry I don't know too much about EJBQL at this stage so I will have to let you make a call
on that.

> (Also I hope you don't mind if I repost that on the dev list?)

That seems fine.  I have just subscribed to that list and replied back to the list.

Another thing which may help me implement this for my own use is if the "readNestedProperty(..)"
method were to iteratively be applied to DataObjects rather than to eventually hit Cayenne.readNestedProperty(..)
and iterate in there.  The entire nested property is currently parsed at the start, but if
it iterated through the "readNestedProperty(..)" methods of the data objects then just the
first part of the nested property could be 'parsed off'.  The number of strings created from
parsing the nested property would only be 2x the number compared to the current implementation.

cheers.

>> Hello Andrus;
>>
>> If approved, could I ask you to apply the attached patch to "Cayenne.java" in 3.1
trunk for me -- it will allow the use of a "size" property against collections in to-many
relationships which, as you know, is commonly used in WebObjects key-paths...

>> 	author.books.count
>>
>> With this change a similar thing is possible against Cayenne data objects...
>>
>> 	author.books.size

___
Andrew Lindesay
www.lindesay.co.nz