cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: eclipse plugin for modeler
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2010 17:01:06 GMT
We have this flexibility in 3.1. We've already renamed cayenne.xml to
cayenne-domainname.xml, so the user perceptions are going to be
affected anyways. We will also need an extension for DataMap files
then (and luckily there's no more .node.xml in 3.1).

Still some considerations against it:

* those files are plain XML (this is not a new file format), and it
would be nice for generic XML editors (and users) to recognize them as
such.
* .cayenne looks long. ideally a 2-3 letter extension should be used,
and most of those are taken, so there is a chance of confusion with
some other file formats.
* web.xml and pom.xml are easily recognized by the corresponding
Eclipse plugins. So it is not impossible for Cayenne files to be
recognized by the plugin. After all we have a clear naming pattern:
cayenne-[^\.]+\.xml and ^.+\.map\.xml

Andrus