cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject CM Inheritance tree view , entity cross-linking
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2010 12:01:32 GMT
Just had to debug a fairly large model that I am not intimately
familiar with, that used inheritance (entity inheritance as well as
multiple custom superclasses) and it was rather hard to understand the
overall structure.

Wonder if we should create an alternative tree view that presents
entities organized by their inheritance (similar to Eclipse
"hierarchy" view)? Switching between the default and inheritance view
can be done via tabs or toolbar buttons. Non-persistent superclasses
can still be shown as disabled class nodes.

Another idea is to allow quick movement between DbEntities and
ObjEntities. This can be achieved by providing extra links (maybe via
right click? or an extra icon next to the main tree icon). This is
applicable to both Default and Inheritance views.

The tree structure for the inheritance view can look like this
(ObjEntities are in mixed case, DbEntities - in uppercase, non-entity
superclasses are in <>) :

datamap
    <CayenneDataObject>
       Artist (ARTIST)
       Painting (PAINTING)
       Person (PERSON)
          Manager (PERSON)
    <CustomSuperclass1>
       MyEntity1 (MYENTITY1)
    ARTIST (Artist)
    PAINTING (Painting)
    PERSON (Person, Manager)
    MYENTITY1 (MyEntity1)

Should help in quick navigation and structure visualization...

Andrus