cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: wiki pages design
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2010 11:17:07 GMT
On 17/02/10 9:29 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> * Authoring process (do we have to edit XML by hand?)

That's one way (and for developers not rocket science since the xml is fairly simple). I looked
long and hard for the easiest to use tool for our technical writer here (who isn't particularly
a developer) and the one I settled on was Oxygen Author. Not free. There are some free tools
as well, but not as wysiwyg. I never tried OpenOffice.

> * Maven support

Should be easy I think. At the worst, maven can call ant scripts. I'm happy to donate ant
scripts I've written, but there isn't much too them.

> * I assume the same doc source can be published as HTML on the web, and
> as PDF for the release. What does it take to wrap HTML in our site
> template? A Velocity template I guess?

That's the really beautiful part. I personally like XSLT, but there are a few ways to get
the output. We also set up PDF output with minimal effort.

In short:

* authoring tools for docbook are poor to middling, but Confluence is hardly perfect
* flexibility of output is great
* commit the whole thing into svn (branching and everything else that entails) is brilliant
* moving everything across is lots and lots of work, especially getting all the links to still
link and tying in all the screenshots

Ari Maniatis

--
Aristedes Maniatis