cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject soft or weak
Date Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:34:07 GMT
http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/objectcontext-memory-management.html

Wonder if we should go from WEAK to SOFT as a default policy for
object retention in the ObjectStore. I just got a few annoying cases
of objects being immediately gc'd after each request, so a new request
looking them up by id finds them in the shared cache instead of local
(somewhat slow) and then previously resolved to-many relationships are
re-read anew (very slow).

Of course locally I just switched my ObjectContext factory service to
use SOFT, so I am all set (I am yet to see it in production; wonder
how that affects already slow major GC cycles). But I am wondering if
that would make a better default policy for 3.1?

Andrus