cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Apache retreat in Ireland
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2010 07:30:42 GMT
Yes, I was at ApacheCon once in 2006 coincidentally also held in
Dublin. Apache conference format was the same as any big technology
conference, held in a big hotel, with some open source "celebrity"
keynote speaker, corporate sponsors (Google, Sun, etc.) having stands
in the common area. And then a few days of sessions, with each session
held by the Apache committers talking about their projects (e.g. a
sample schedule http://us.apachecon.com/c/acus2009/schedule/
2009/11/04 ). I am not sure what percentage of attendees are
committers vs. non-Apache developers, but I think it is more than 50%.
So it is a good albeit fairly expensive way to meet people from
various projects (I didn't use this opportunity to the full extent in
2006 as I was still very new to Apache).

This year there will be still a traditional conference in US in
November (which I am tentatively going to attend and maybe give a
Cayenne presentation), but Apache is experimenting with "non-
conference" formats (e.g. BarCamp http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
BarCamp ) - smaller cheaper informal gatherings that focus on more
face-to-face meeting and doesn't cost a fortune for attendees.

A retreat in Ireland is one such attempt. I think another announcement
with more details is coming out soon, as currently the event
organizers are using the registration on the eventbrite site as a
questionnaire on people's preferences about the event details (e.g.
catering vs. cooking, etc.).

Andrus