cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: XML file changes: dropping .driver.xml
Date Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:49:21 GMT
If you think of it, the only value of .driver.xml (or a <data-
source>..</data-source> inside cayenne.xml for that matter) is that it
can be edited in the Modeler. If a user overrides the Modeler-provided
XML file, this functionality is lost, and configuration can be
provided in a number of different ways.

1. DBCPDataSourceFactory - this is the closest to what you are
doing... Only instead of swapping .driver.xml, you'll be swapping
dbcp.properties

2. JNDIDataSourceFactory - if you are in a web container, there's no
reason not to use it

3. Custom factory. Should be very easy to write to load JDBC data from
somewhere, based either on o.a.c.conn package or commons-dbcp.

So I still feel like there's no value in keeping that file.

(As a side note, I already committed this change to the 3.1 project
loader/saver last night (the one we are not using yet), but there
won't be a problem to roll it back. So I am not using the fact that it
is already there as an argument to keep it).

Andrus