cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: maven dependency issues
Date Sat, 26 Dec 2009 10:42:34 GMT

On Dec 26, 2009, at 9:47 AM, Andrey Razumovsky wrote:

> 2009/12/26 Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
>

>> 1. The top level pom (cayenne-parent) has a module "framework". The
>> framework (cayenne-framework-parent) pom has a parent "cayenne-
>> parent" and
>> has a module "cayenne-tools". The cayenne-tools pom has a parent
>> "cayenne-parent" rather than "cayenne-framework-parent". That is,
>> modules
>> represent the children, and parent should be the reverse of that.
>> But in
>> this case, the parent points to the grandparent.
>>

> To me, this looks incorrect. Parent should be cay-framework-parent
>

>> 2. Why are there inconsistent groupids? org.apache.cayenne.parents
>> and
>> org.apache.cayenne. Can we just have one groupid for the entire
>> project?
>>

> Again, I don't think this is fine..

The group vs. actual location mismatch is because we have public
modules, in which we don't want to expose any odd group ids to the end
users. We may try to improve things in 3.1. The addition of extra
"unpublished" modules in 3.1 has made things less comprehensible
again, so some reorg (invisible to the end users) may be a good thing.
Maybe separate public aggregated modules in a their own location
(hmm... still putting them at the root of the checkout to ensure the
folder structure follows maven guidelines would crowd the root
folder ... need to think about it).

Also I wanted to play a bit with maven-release-plugin that may clean
up publicly visible structure:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/index.html

In the past the fact that it alters SVN from Maven gave me an uneasy
feeling. The plugin behavior still looks a little odd. But since it is
next to impossible to permanently break things in SVN, I guess I may
give it a try one day.

Andrus