cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Tutorials
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 09:13:13 GMT
I think I am giving up on an idea of a Maven-free tutorial. It will be
just too hard for us to maintain... In return for introducing Maven to
the "Getting Started" tutorials we'll get a these benefits:

* Maven-based web container start (I am at a loss which webapp Eclipse
plugin to recommend to users these days... They either suck or
unsupported and out of date... I am personally using a Jetty launcher
with main class that I wrote).

* Declarative dependency management (instead of "download Derby from
here", we just tell them to place it in the pom).

* Tutorials code can be built together with Cayenne core, so they
never become invalid (and there's a better chance they will be
maintained), and also can be easily bundled with a release.

The downsides are:

* Some people just won't bother using Maven

* Since dependency management is transparent, we don't show how to
include dependent jars in the project.

I guess Maven wins...

Andrus