cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Beta 2?
Date Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:33:15 GMT

On Dec 14, 2009, at 2:17 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:

> We had a meeting this morning which included a discussion on Hibernate
> vs Cayenne (we = the team that is developing that politically
> sensitive application I mentioned and was trying to do some
> benchmarking).  Several of the Hibernate developers, after I showed
> them Cayenne, thought Cayenne looked easier to learn/use (they LOVED
> the idea of the data context), but in the end chose to do the new
> project in Hibernate (the devil they know).  A good portion of their
> thought process was that Cayenne 3 isn't officially released yet and
> that Cayenne 2 was too old.  (No one uses "beta" code, it was argued.)

I guess your team should consider that it has a very unique advantage
with Cayenne - a committer who can fix things if they are broken. They
won't have that with Hibernate ;-)

Anyways, I guess we won't be able to fix that DataDomain snapshot
cache contention issue in 3.0, but hopefully we will in 3.1

> While I'm on a soapbox ... I think it would be better if 3.1 included
> only a handful of features and could be put out 4-6 months after 3.0.
> Repeat for 3.2 ...  That way it doesn't look like it is sitting still
> for to long (perception, I know).

I am all for it. If 3.1 is just DI/configuration rework (and anything
else squeezed in while this rework is being done), I am personally
totally fine with it.

Andrus