cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: maven dependency issues
Date Sat, 26 Dec 2009 23:01:28 GMT
On 27/12/09 1:39 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> On Dec 26, 2009, at 3:50 PM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
>
>> Well, we don't have either. Can I suggest for simplicity that we only
>> have org.apache.cayenne and nothing else? That's one less thing to
>> think about then. I'm happy to go make the change and run a few tests
>> if you don't object.
>
> I suggest to not rush with this. The current layout works ok for us and
> this change doesn't buy us anything.

Other than the fact that I spent about 6 hours trying to get Clover working and ultimately
failed. I'm guessing this is the reason why.

   http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Cayenne-doc/19/clover-report/

And the chasing my tail I've experienced because I've built the project without remembering
to 'install' it every single time.

> The issue here is not that much the size of it, but rather
> user-friendliness and simplicity in handling the artifacts by the end
> users. E.g. if I am to deploy Cayenne to my own repo manually for some
> reason, I'd have to remember somehow that 1 or 2 parent artifacts also
> have to be deployed. This has been a constant annoyance for me with
> other frameworks, so I wish that our public modules are only 1 level
> deep, and therefore more "portable".

If this convoluted and non-standard way of setting up a project is all to work around this
one bug in maven (I have no idea why it would need to download the parent pom anyway), then
I suggest we let end-users complain to the maven developers. I've wasted many hours on reading
the crappy maven docs and trying to figure out what is going on. How to selectively disable
modules so that this can work again:

   http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Cayenne-trunk/

or why this isn't working:

   http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/view/Cayenne/job/Cayenne-doc30/

Right now I'm over it. If anyone else can get the project to build the same way twice in a
row, please have my blessing to go and change the Hudson configuration.....

Ari

--

Aristedes Maniatis