cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: maven dependency issues
Date Sat, 26 Dec 2009 13:50:04 GMT
On 27/12/09 12:06 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> Group ID is a namespace. However another one of Maven (optional)
> conventions is to match it with the folder structure. I.e. if our root
> group is "org.apache.cayenne" then everything in the "framework" folder
> should have "org.apache.cayenne.framework" group ID.

Well, we don't have either. Can I suggest for simplicity that we only have org.apache.cayenne
and nothing else? That's one less thing to think about then. I'm happy to go make the change
and run a few tests if you don't object.

> The only thing that appears bent to me is mixing "public" and
> "unpublished" modules in one place.

But I think the appropriate way to stop certain modules from being deployed is this:

              <plugin>
                <artifactId>maven-deploy-plugin</artifactId>
                <configuration>
                  <skip>true</skip>
               </configuration>
             </plugin>

inserted into each module we want to hide. It should not matter where they are located in
the tree.

> The issue with parent is dependency resolving. If a user project
> includes dependency on cayenne-server, this would try to load its parent
> during the build. So if we have two levels of parents, we have more
> garbage for people to download (and us to maintain).

Maven typically downloads half the internet every time I run it. I doubt anyone will notice
:-)

>  Ideally public
> artifacts should be parent-less (kind of like the new tutorial project).

If it just downloads the parent pom file that should be OK. Pretty small.

> Now cutting release from Hudson could be more tricky. There are a few
> issues that makes it not practical: gpg signing (you don't want a
> committer private key sitting on a shared box), platform specific builds.

I would not expect that the artifacts are signed until AFTER they are built.  And shortly
we should have Windows and OSX clients for Hudson in the farm. Anyhow, this is a red herring...
I'd love to get the other stuff sorted.

Ari

--

Aristedes Maniatis