cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Pom module dependencies
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:16:51 GMT
On 19/12/09 9:54 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> OK. I changed it. I don't understand Maven despite having slightly used
> it for some years now. The problem with 'install' is just that it takes
> so long. I don't understand why we want to install anything: can't the
> modules just build themselves against the compiled code in the other
> modules? Do they have to build against what is 'installed'?

I've tracked down the problems I have in Clover to be exactly the same issues. That is, each
module in Cayenne builds not against the other modules (and the code which ends up in target
folders) but instead against what is 'installed'. Which means that really, you have to *always*
install if you want to be sure to avoid problems.

Is this:

A: just how maven works?
B: something odd about the setup of Cayenne's pom?

If B, what is needed to fix this and make 'install' go away? Right now I am stuck unable to
build Cayenne at all, because of this error:

    [INFO] Building Cayenne Modeler
    [INFO]    task-segment: [install]

    [INFO] Failed to resolve dependencies for one or more projects in the reactor. Reason:
Missing:
    1) org.apache.cayenne.unpublished:cayenne-wocompat-unpublished:jar:3.1-SNAPSHOT

I'm guessing that it is alphabetically after cayenne-modeler and so the build can never get
to that module to build it and install it. I can probably get around it by manually installing
that module and then trying to build the whole project again. But ugh...

Ari

--

Aristedes Maniatis