cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Nested ROP contexts and relationships
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:47:26 GMT
True, but they are still user facing collections (or more generally
valueholders, as this also works for to-one), that get inflated
internally as needed. DO faults are singletons of this type:

http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/api/org/apache/cayenne/Fault.html

So PO lazy relationship resolving goes like this:

  1. on select, init lazy property with a "hollow" ValueHolder
  2. on ValueHolder value access, inflate ValueHolder with the DB data

For DO it has an extra step:

  1. on select, init lazy property with a singleton Fault of a type
corresponding to the relationship semantics
  2. on property access, *replace* Fault with either a hollow
collection or a target DO (which can be hollow or resolved from cache)
  3. on collection or hollow DO value access, inflate them.

The difference may be subtle, but still essential. First, in DO case
there's no to-one ValueHolder. Target object is attached directly.
Also the user never sees the Fault object itself, so we can replace it
with another object when needed. Among other things this allows a
major memory optimization, as Fault instances are singletons shared by
all DOs.

So all in all, DO design seems more sound (and quite possibly that
whatever memory we save on using ivars in PO, is getting lost to extra
and more eager ValueHolders).

Andrus