cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Zeigler <robert.zeig...@roxanemy.com>
Subject Re: Nested ROP contexts and relationships
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:41:33 GMT

On Nov 24, 2009, at 11/245:37 AM , Andrey Razumovsky wrote:

> 2009/11/24 Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org>
>

>> I did not, but I defined 3 different types of objects (ROP, POJO,
>> JPA) that
>> don't use this approach for setting reverse relationship. So that's
>> what I
>> mean by pluggable :-)
>>

> And now I want at least ROP-like classes do use this approach as
> well (i
> mean what is contained inside "setToOneTarget" method). I just want to
> minimize duplicating the code. Alternatively, same code will be
> added to the
> places where we process those "different types".
>

>> Property p = ClassDescriptor.getProperty(String);
>> p.readProperty(Object);
>> p.readPropertyDirectly(Object);
>>

> ...and more lines to get ClassDescriptor:
>
> ClassDescriptor cd = object.getObjectContext().
>
> getEntityResolver
> ().getClassDescriptor(object.getObjectId().getEntityName());
> Too hard for user who does not know Cayenne internals I think

I'll second that. I ran into a very similar use case yesterday in a
hibernate project... I was wanting to get at hibernate's version of
ClassDescription, and it took me forever to track down the right way
to do it; once I knew how, it was simple enough, and just a few lines
of code, but I fear the above would cause a new Cayenne user the same
level of frustration I experienced yesterday with Hibernate. ;)

Robert