cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <mgen...@masslight.net>
Subject Re: Plans for the future (aka 3.1 roadmap)
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:53:09 GMT
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Andrey Razumovsky
<razumovsky.andrey@gmail.com> wrote:
> --- ROP: unify client- and server classes. i really want to see classes that
> can work both on client and server someday.

I've never used ROP, but a lot of us here are starting to look into
AJAX for use in our applications and I'm wondering if some kind of
AJAX/JSON support via ROP would be useful.

> GUI support:
>
> ---  Create Eclipse plugin for Cayenne.
> This is a very large task, somewhat discussed at
> http://cayenne.markmail.org/search/?q=eclipse+vs+swing#query:eclipse%20vs%20swing+page:1+mid:3laascxup2afjux5+state:results.
>
> Noone disputes the need of such plugin in general, but we need a leader to
> start the project. Personally, I can't do that because of serious lack of
> knowledge in SWT.

I'm one of those not convinced that making an Eclipse plug-in is the
best course.  To me there is very little advantage to doing so, but
that's just my opinion.

> No matter whether we succeed in creation of plugin or stay with existing
> modeler, following points must be improved from our current state:
> --- Add some graphical modeling editor for ER and Class diagrams (CAY-762).
> Maybe be able to import some existing formats.

Generating diagrams has never been high on my list, but I know some
love it.  I'm just not sure the path that should be taken to do so.

> --- Stop using HSQL internally in modeling (e.g. switch to JDK preferences).
> It is slow and buggy.

Yes!  :-)

> --- Make GUI tool it more user-friendly (many JIRAs for that, also was a
> thread recently, can't find it now). we really can improve user interface
> (remove extra clicks, change button positioning etc) and design.

That was probably the thread I started ... especially the 8/20/2009 12:55pm one:

http://markmail.org/thread/aonhtfa7x3mrez4i