cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Cayenne release 3.0B1
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2009 07:19:11 GMT
> The real problem is that the Modeler tells you that the model is
> being upgraded to "version 3.0.0.1". Which means nothing to the
> user. Let's just tell the user that the model was updated and leave
> it at that.
>
>  This model you opened was previously saved with an older version of
> Cayenne Modeler and has now been upgraded. You should verify the
> changes and, if necessary, regenerate your Java class files.

Agreed, we should change the message to hide the dummy version number.
I guess we can make this change during the Beta.

> If we need an internal number which increments so that we know how
> to upgrade the schema, right through the development process, then
> it should be internal and not exposed to the user. I'd suggest a
> simple incrementing integer which doesn't look at all like the
> Cayenne version. Let's start at (say) 100 and go from there.

Agreed. Maybe let's implement this approach the next time we need to
bump the schema.

> Ideally this message would only appear if some change was actually
> made to the model.

I sort of wanted it to be very explicit and preempt any attempts to
work on the model. I guess we can use some mixed approach - show a
warning on opening the project, but avoid saving the new version right
away. Just put the project in a dirty state, upgrade it in memory, and
change the disk files only when the user hits save.

Andrus