cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: ObjectContext Questions
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2009 11:42:07 GMT

On Oct 8, 2009, at 10:40 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:

> It just seems like it is caught in 3 different lands: pre-generics,
> generics, and POJO.

That's one of my biggest headaches. You'd be experimenting with new
things, going through trial and error cycles, learning, gathering
feedback, and then somewhere along that way your unfinished designs
become public API and you can't change it anymore. This is why JPA was
so attractive at first - it has a very thin layer of public API, and
85% of the framework is private. And this is why I brought up
dependency injection (and implicitly, coding to interfaces) as a
prospective future direction.

Hmmm... sometimes I feel like attacking that the Tapestry (or Log4J/
SLF4J) way - rewriting things from scratch to have a fresh and fully
consistent framework. But then I realize that I won't be able to spend
the next 2-3 years of my life to create something that is already
available and works, and lose the entire community in the process.

Alas, we are stuck in the imperfect world, and will have to make
incremental changes :-/

Andrus