cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrey Razumovsky <razumovsky.and...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Non-physical delete... again
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2009 09:08:53 GMT
Hi,

> Back then, we
> could set up a delegate to intercept all queries, and I automatically
> added the restricting qualifier to each select query.

I'm afraid, simple qualifier would not be enough, I need to set them for all
joined tables in query (I have simple qualifirer already, by using ObjEntity
qualifier).

> On Jun 1, 2009, at 6:09 PM, Andrey Razumovsky wrote:
>

>> 2.  Deletion strategy for DataDomain. This means I do not always fire
>> DeleteAction, but maybe something else (update action in my case).
>>

> Yeah, good idea to move this down the stack. I would love to have the
> ObjectContext level code to stay unchanged, but then generate UPDATE instead
> of DELETE at the lower levels if entity is tagged as "soft delete".

I actually want to see this more generic, i.e. DeletionStrategy interface
with one default implementation (which fires DELETE) and ability to set my
own.

>  1. DBEntity qualifier. This is same as ObjEntity qualifier, but applied
>> every time DBentity is being added to select sql. I will add DBEntity
>> qualifier 'deleted=false' and drop current ObjEntity's
>>

> So does that mean dropping ObjEntity qualifiers completely? (This may or
> may not be a good idea, I am not yet sure myself).

I mean removing them in my Cayenne project of course, not in API.

> Also I think there's a possibility here to address another annoyance in one
> shot - the need to manually set the inheritance discriminator column for new
> objects when inheritance is used. If we can add functionality to expressions
> to not only "get" the value from an object, but also "set" the value, we can
> do both soft delete and auto inheritance update based on an (almost)
> arbitrary exception. Kind of like OGNL framework does...

Well, I agree this is must-have in Cayenne. But my proposed solution is a
separate feature, because I need intercepting at DbEntity level.

If noone minds against these features, I think I'll look at implementing
'DeleteStrategy' and 'DbEntity qualifiers'

Andrey