cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Non-physical delete... again
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2009 10:08:54 GMT

On Jun 2, 2009, at 12:29 PM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> 1. Because the second most commonly used implementation will be:
>
> * boolean NOT NULL field called 'isDeleted'
>
> Could this alternative implementation be one of the 'out of the box'
> choices? For us, we'd want that choice per table since some tables
> we actually do delete (since we don't care about keeping historical
> data). For Cayenne, the ability to do this without too much code
> would be very useful and a strong 'selling point' for the framework.

(BTW we have another area where we could provide a sensible default -
the auto increment version column.)

What I would like to avoid is implicit invisible mappings forcing user
into Cayenne table/column naming conventions. The ability to work on
top of an (almost) arbitrary schema is a big deal in the database
world. Cayenne never had any such conventions (ok, except for
AUTO_PK_TABLE), and this was also a strong usability point.

Fortunately we have the Modeler, so we can achieve the best of both
worlds. The modeler can create a needed column and a qualifier if an
entity is marked as "soft delete". The user can stick with those, or
go and edit the names.

Andrus