cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Lachlan Deck <lachlan.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Another take on inheritance
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2008 11:42:28 GMT
On 26/09/2008, at 5:09 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> No guarantee that it won't end up being just another mailing list
> discussion with no code committed, but giving it another shot.
> Myself and Dzmitry Rusak (he hasn't participated on this list, but
> hopefully he will over time; he is the guy who developed DataMap
> generator templates that create named query methods) have been
> looking at the CAY-795 Jira and Marcin's patch to implement
> horizontal inheritance, with the goal to advance this task further.
>
> We discussed ORM inheritance in general, possible approaches to the
> mapping, and just touched a bit on the runtime. For me it was
> helpful to realize that there is no spoon :-) For all the talk about
> single-table, vertical and horizontal inheritance, Cayenne runtime
> will end up dealing with a hybrid case of any possible combination
> of the above in each given hierarchy. So the terminology will be
> different when we get to nuts and bolts of the mapping: ObjEntity to
> DbEntity mapping; ObjEntity qualifier; ObjAttribute overrides in
> subclasses. These are the three pieces that allow inheritance to
> happen in the mapping (all 3 types of inheritance).
>
> Let me come back to this in a moment... Now a note on
> implementation. I'd like to follow an approach that proved itself
> with other features:
>
> (1) implement new features needed in the mapping layer (including
> save/load)
> (2) implement Modeler support for that (although that can be
> postponed till after #3 as to avoid early exposing of the incomplete
> features to the end users)
> (3) implement runtime support for select / select relationship /
> insert / update / delete, with unit tests
> (4) do #3 for ROP
>
> So essentially this is going layer by layer instead of cutting
> across, and when we get to runtime parts, we already have a mapping
> framework to create the test cases. The plan is to bypass Marcin's
> patch (that has code across the layers) and start with (1) and (2).
> For #1, some preliminary work has been done by Ari and Marcin
> (CAY-794), so now we need to relax some mapping restrictions (coming
> from assuming that all inheritance == single table inheritance) and
> introduce a new concept of ObjAttribute overrides. It exists in JPA
> (for the same purpose of mapping inheritance), and so far has been
> absent from Cayenne (except for the embeddables that are still
> somewhat hidden from the public view by the absent Modeler support).
>
> Once we have that, we can move to the runtime pieces... That's where
> the real fun starts... Consider that to fetch superclass in case of
> horizontal inheritance, we'd need to do separate queries on each
> subclass on the tree, and then combine the result in an in-memory
> "union" and then apply in-memory sort ordering on top of that :-)

This last one may not require separate queries for each subclass.
i.e., by definition horizontal inheritance ensures that each sub-
entity has the super's attributes/relations in common. So I'd think
you ought to be able to do a unioned fetch of these things across the
immediate child entities and lazy fault anything unique to the child
entities thereafter... no?

with regards,
--

Lachlan Deck