cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@ish.com.au>
Subject Re: JDBC 4 and build sanity
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 01:41:37 GMT

On 28/09/2008, at 9:00 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> This will exclude 32-bit Mac owners from the dev process (I do have
> 1 such laptop in my company, Ari probably has a few, etc...). So how
> do we make it build on 1.5 (everything except for the 1.6 module of
> course). Here is one idea: a developer may extract the new JDBC 4
> interfaces from Java 1.6 (we can provide a little script to do
> that), and build a small extension jar and drop it in the lib/ext of
> JDK 1.5. That and also we will publish 1.6 snapshots for downstream
> dependents (such as cayenne-server and cayenne-client).
>
> Thoughts on that? Maybe there are better ideas (and I may need to
> vet this little hack with Apache legal).

It may be easier to do this against OpenJDK rather than Java 6, since
the licensing is much simpler. But still, we bump into GPL licensing
of OpenJDK. The question: "is this code linked to ours" such that it
infects Cayenne code with the GPL license? Clearly implementing an
interface doesn't cause a problem (since we do that for dozens of JRE
interfaces) but can we write stubs for the interface itself and bundle
that without causing a problem? The logical answer is that we are
including no more intellectual property than simply implementing the
interface, but law is so rarely that logical.

And of course the Java 6 problem for Mac users is not just 32 bit
machines, but also 64 bit PPC machines. I can't wait until Apple just
give up partially supporting Java and either Sun or the open source
community take it over to do it properly.

Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001