cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: DataViews - Proposal - move to sourceforge!
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 04:05:35 GMT
This discussion has gone into legal affairs and sadly, I'm afraid
that the local wisdom (meself included) is not sufficient to give a
complete description of what it means to fork an Apache project and
relicense it as GPL or LGPL. The Apache license is very permissive,
and relicensing Apache code is permitted.

I respectfully suggest that this thread discontinue here and
reconvene at

legal-discuss@apache.org

Craig

On Nov 4, 2007, at 12:42 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

>> Mike Kienenberger wrote:
>>> However, you cannot change the license to LGPL.
>
> On 11/4/07, Demetrios Kyriakis <demetrios.kyriakis@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> Wow thank you for the info. I didn't know that Apache license is so
>> restrictive.
>> I think that LGPL code can be changed by the owners to whatever
>> license they
>> wish (if they wish).
>> I think I saw this on some dev.java.net forum - Sun.com has LGPL
>> for most
>> code there, but they can change it to what they want and when they
>> want.
>
> And the Cayenne code at ASF can be changed by the code owners to
> whatever license they wish if they wish as well.   It has nothing to
> do with Apache.
>
> However, trying to get approval from every owner for the code they
> contributed is next to impossible in any large open source community.
>  If you want, feel free to give it a try.
>
> However, the code that ASF has rights to and maintains must remain
> under the Apache license as that's the license under which the code
> was granted to ASF.   Neither ASF nor people operating on ASF's
> behalf, can give you an LGPL license for Dataviews.   You'll have to
> contact every person who contributed to DataViews to obtain it.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!