cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Menard <kmen...@servprise.com>
Subject Re: [JIRA] Commented: (CAY-922) Convert non-type-safe enums to Java 5 enums
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:05:25 GMT
While we could use enums internally and preserve the int based API for
client use, it seems to be of dubious value.  We could deprecate it now I
suppose, but introducing a new alternative to PersistenceState, that encodes
the same info, just in a nicer manner, doesn't appear to gain us much.  This
strikes me as needing to be all-or-nothing to me.

I also think it's something that's going to have to be dealt with sooner or
later and is going to invariably break things for people somewhere.  I'm
personally of the mindset that if I'm going to upgrade my code for 3.0, I
may as well do it all at once.

FWIW, the change to performQuery to return List<?> broke more of my code
than the enum changes would.  I don't know how representative that is,
however.

--
Kevin Menard
Servprise International, Inc.