cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@ish.com.au>
Subject XMLSerializable
Date Sun, 04 Nov 2007 02:09:21 GMT
There are two XMLSerializable interfaces. One in
org.apache.cayenne.util and one in org.apache.cayenne.xml.

They are very similar but the xml package one includes decodeFromXML
(XMLDecoder). CayenneDataObject is the only class which implements
decodeFromXML(XMLDecoder).

On the other hand classes which implement the util version of the
package instead use MapLoader to perform the decoding from XML in the
form of a SAX parser.

* can we rename these interfaces so they are more different (I think
one is a SAX decoder and the other DOM), or

* can CayenneMapEntry be somehow merged with XMLSerializable. They
apply to different classes now but I'm not sure why. (doesn't
everything in the map need to be XML serializable and everything
which is serializable is in the map?), or

* should we merge the two XMLSerializable interfaces and make
decodeFromXML a noop where is it not used

Ideally I'd have thought decodeFromXML() and encodeFromXML() are
always nice symmetric pairs but I'm thinking this would require a
change from using a SAX parser in MapLoader to using a DOM parser.

I'm just trying to understand this code as I navigate through it
working on some other things.

Ari

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001