cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: [JIRA] Commented: (CAY-922) Convert non-type-safe enums to Java 5 enums
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:20:00 GMT

On Nov 27, 2007, at 7:05 PM, Kevin Menard wrote:

> While we could use enums internally and preserve the int based API for
> client use, it seems to be of dubious value.  We could deprecate it
> now I
> suppose, but introducing a new alternative to PersistenceState, that
> encodes
> the same info, just in a nicer manner, doesn't appear to gain us much.

It gives the users more time (maybe a year, maybe more) to migrate
their code and a clear indication of what will be changed.

> FWIW, the change to performQuery to return List<?> broke more of my
> code
> than the enum changes would.

That's a good one... Impact of generics conversion on backwards
compatibility is not fully clear to me just yet. There is a
possibility that we may need to undo some of what we've done with it.

Andrus