cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: DataViews - Proposal - move to sourceforge!
Date Sat, 03 Nov 2007 18:28:42 GMT
Actually we had a similar discussion some time ago, and also related
to DataViews. Forking and relicensing is an easy option:

    http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists/cayenne-devel/2007/04/0035.html

Whoever wants to work on a fork, I suggest you contact Adrian
Wiesmann (who is likely reading this list). I think he already did a
fork and placed it on SourceForge (?)

I disagree that Apache license as such is unfriendly to GUI projects
(at least I haven't heard any reasonable argument to back that idea),
but the fact that most existing libraries converged around (L)GPL
could definitely play its role as a high barrier to entry. Although
there are notable exceptions - JGoodies uses BSD license.

Finally I have no idea why people are so afraid to contribute to
Apache. There are no barriers, except for the ones that any
established project would have, namely that the people involved in
the project value their reputation built over the years, and
therefore require new contributors to go through the karma building
process, before giving them write access. I think that's very
reasonable.

Andrus