cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Demetrios Kyriakis <demetrios.kyria...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: DataViews - Proposal - move to sourceforge!
Date Sun, 04 Nov 2007 11:48:50 GMT

Mike Kienenberger wrote:

> There's nothing stopping you from forking a branch of DataViews.

Well, as I mentioned in the subject, I asked/proposed about a *move* not
fork and of couse this "as official as possible" :).
Personally I'm not interested in "forking" - I think there's not enough
"developer free energy" around to invest in forks, and for sure not for
"political" resons like licensing :).

My request was based on a very simple and pragmatic reason - on sourceforge
it takes only a single click to give someone commit rights - it's even
simpler than explaining "house rules" or whatever bureacratic steps Apache
takes.

Mike Kienenberger wrote:

> However, you cannot change the license to LGPL.

Wow thank you for the info. I didn't know that Apache license is so
restrictive.
I think that LGPL code can be changed by the owners to whatever license they
wish (if they wish).
I think I saw this on some dev.java.net forum - Sun.com has LGPL for most
code there, but they can change it to what they want and when they want.

Thank you,

Demetrios.