cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Mikaël Cluseau <mik...@isinc.dyndns.org>
Subject Re: generics and ObjectContext
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:55:18 GMT

Le mardi 20 novembre 2007 à 21:11 +0200, Andrus Adamchik a écrit :

> I guess any query that does not take a class (SelectQuery may also be
> entity-name based) would be Query<?>, resulting in List<?> returned.

Query<Persistent>, indeed, since you can't put "new Query<?>()". Thus,
someone could write about anything he wants, and I think it is a
feature, since it allows you to say "I know what it will be". I.e. new
SelectQuery<User>("User").

I think only "SelectQuery" should the parametrized, and require a class
to be constructed.

Has the "setFetchingDataRow" been discussed ? Because
context.performQuery wouldn't return the same kind on List with the same
query object.

---- Random thoughts around that ----

You may to consider that the query can have the "perform*" methods in
the following way (may have been discussed in Jira, I dunno), and to
allow chain commands :

ObjectContext context = ...;
List<User> results = new SelectQuery<User>(User.class)
	.andQualifier("registrationTime<?", new Date())
	.addOrder("registrationTime", "desc"),
	.addOrder("login")
	.fetch(); // or List<DataRow> [...].fetchRows();

Making Query iterable instead of using performIteratedQuery would be
better, too.

Cheers,

--
Mikaël Cluseau <mc.isi.nc@gmail.com>