cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: DataView status
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2006 19:25:21 GMT
On Oct 10, 2006, at 2:54 PM, Adrian Wiesmann wrote:
>> * If we (cayenne dev community) are to continue the development, as a
>> first step I suggest making Cayenne core independent of DV runtime.
>
> I would suggest to move DV "out of the way" so that it is not
> hurting the
> normal Cayenne development. But please keep DataViews supported. I am
> currently in the process to switch to Cayenne 3.x because I absolutely
> need the Lifecycle Callbacks (generating uuid formated key when
> creating a
> new object and updating the last_updated field before committing
> changes).
>
> Because the SOBF tool is that much depending on DataViews I would very
> much like to see them at least not removed. I would hate to have to
> redo
> everything I already programmed only because of DataViews being
> removed
> from Cayenne.

This sounds like a reasonable strategy. I guess we can promise that
much. But again, I appreciate if all interested parties could
actually help us with DV maintenance. You probably know much more
about DV than myself or any of the current committers anyways :-)

As the history shows (DV, JStaple and Rowan projects), there is lots
of interest in Swing-related technologies in our community, but not
nearly as much commitment. I suspect it is because Swing is not
paying anyone's bills consistently (e.g. I may have a 2-month Swing
project and then switch back to webapps, I believe that's the case
with others too).

It would be cool if we could find one or more dedicated developers
with a vision in this area to lead the Swing effort. But I'll keep
dreaming...

> The SOBF tool (Security Officers Best Friend, Open Source tool for
> assessing information security risk)

I like your website :-)

Andrus