cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Hannu Kröger <hkro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Securing cluster communication
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2019 14:05:52 GMT
I would start checking this page: http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/operating/security.html

Then move to this:
https://thelastpickle.com/blog/2015/09/30/hardening-cassandra-step-by-step-part-1-server-to-server.html

Cheers,
Hannu

> Marc Richter <mail@marc-richter.info> kirjoitti 28.6.2019 kello 16.55:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm completely new to Cassandra DB, so please do not roast me for asking obvious stuff.
>
> I managed to setup one Cassandra node and enter some data to it, successfully. Next,
I installed a second node, which connects to that first one via port 7000 and sync all that
data from it. This worked fine as well.

> But doing so, it leaves me puzzled a bit because of the security aspect of this: Neither
did I need to authenticate to the seeding (first) node, nor did I find a resource which describes
how to secure that cluster communication by implementing some kind of authentication, which
prevents everyone on the same net to connect to the nodes.

> How is this dealt with in Cassandra? Is setting up firewalls the only way to allow only
some nodes to connect to the ports 7000/7001?