cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jon Haddad <...@jonhaddad.com>
Subject Re: How to set up a cluster with allocate_tokens_for_keyspace?
Date Sat, 04 May 2019 17:40:39 GMT
That line is only relevant for when you're starting your cluster and
you need to define your initial tokens in a non-random way.  Random
token distribution doesn't work very well when you only use 4 tokens.

Once you get the cluster set up you don't need to specify tokens
anymore, you can just use allocate_tokens_for_keyspace.

On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 2:14 AM onmstester onmstester
<onmstester@zoho.com.invalid> wrote:

> I just read this article by tlp:
> https://thelastpickle.com/blog/2019/02/21/set-up-a-cluster-with-even-token-distribution.html
>
> Noticed that:
> >>We will need to set the tokens for the seed nodes in each rack manually. This
is to prevent each node from randomly calculating its own token ranges

>  But until now, i was using this recommendation to setup a new cluster:
> >>

> You'll want to set them explicitly using: python -c 'print( [str(((2**64 / 4) * i) -
2**63) for i in range(4)])'

> After you fire up the first seed, create a keyspace using RF=3 (or whatever you're planning
on using) and set allocate_tokens_for_keyspace to that keyspace in your config, and join the
rest of the nodes. That gives even
> distribution.
>
> I've defined plenty of racks in my cluster (and only 3 seed nodes), should i have a seed
node per rack and use initial_token for all of the seed nodes or just one seed node with inital_token
would be ok?