cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Anthony Grasso <anthony.gra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to set up a cluster with allocate_tokens_for_keyspace?
Date Mon, 06 May 2019 02:47:14 GMT
Hi

If you are planning on setting up a new cluster with
allocate_tokens_for_keyspace, then yes, you will need one seed node per
rack. As Jon mentioned in a previous email, you must manually specify the
token range for *each* seed node. This can be done using the initial_token
setting.

The article you are referring to (
https://thelastpickle.com/blog/2019/02/21/set-up-a-cluster-with-even-token-distribution.html)
includes python code which calculates the token ranges for each of the seed
nodes. When calling that python code, you must specify the vnodes - number
of token per node and the number of racks.

Regards,
Anthony

On Sat, 4 May 2019 at 19:14, onmstester onmstester
<onmstester@zoho.com.invalid> wrote:

> I just read this article by tlp:
>
> https://thelastpickle.com/blog/2019/02/21/set-up-a-cluster-with-even-token-distribution.html
>
> Noticed that:
> >>We will need to set the tokens for the seed nodes in each rack
> manually. This is to prevent each node from randomly calculating its own
> token ranges
>
>  But until now, i was using this recommendation to setup a new cluster:
> >>

> You'll want to set them explicitly using: python -c 'print( [str(((2**64 / 4) * i) -
2**63) for i in range(4)])'

> After you fire up the first seed, create a keyspace using RF=3 (or whatever you're planning
on using) and set allocate_tokens_for_keyspace to that keyspace in your config, and join the
rest of the nodes. That gives even