cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jon Haddad <...@jonhaddad.com>
Subject Re: 2.1.9 --> 2.2.13 upgrade node startup after upgrade very slow
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2019 18:36:18 GMT
Run the async java profiler on the node to determine what it's doing:
https://github.com/jvm-profiling-tools/async-profiler

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 11:31 AM Carl Mueller
<carl.mueller@smartthings.com.invalid> wrote:

> No, we just did the package upgrade 2.1.9 --> 2.2.13
>
> It definitely feels like some indexes are being recalculated or the entire sstables are
being scanned due to suspected corruption.

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 12:32 PM Jeff Jirsa <jjirsa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There was a time when changing some of the parameters (especially bloom filter FP
ratio) would cause the bloom filters to be rebuilt on startup if the sstables didnt match
what was in the schema, leading to a delay like that and similar logs. Any chance you changed
the schema on that table since the last time you restarted it?

>> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:30 AM Carl Mueller <carl.mueller@smartthings.com.invalid>
wrote:

>>> Oh, the table in question is SizeTiered, had about 10 sstables total, it was
JBOD across two data directories.

clusters so far and have not encountered anything like this yet.

ALmost all of our other nodes took less than 2 minutes to upgrade (aside from sstableupgrades).

300GB, but we have upgraded other clusters with about that much data without this 8-10 minute
delay. We have the ability to roll back the node, and the restart as a 2.1.x node is normal
with no delays.

on a lower environment and try to replicate the delay. If we can, we will turn on debug logging.

limited to only this node, but we are gunshy to play around with upgrades in prod.

gossip, drains before upgrade, suppressed autostart on upgrade, and has worked about as flawlessly
as one could hope for so far for 2.1->2.2 and 2.2-> 3.11 upgrades.