cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Akshay Bhardwaj <akshay.bhardwaj1...@gmail.com>
Subject Decommissioning a new node when the state is JOINING
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2019 11:34:55 GMT
Hi Experts,

I have a cassandra cluster running with 5 nodes. For some reason, I was
creating a new cassandra cluster, but one of the nodes intended for new
cluster had the same cassandra.yml file as the existing cluster. This
resulted in the new node joining the existing cluster, making total no. of
nodes as 6.

As of now in "nodetool status" command, I see that the state of the new
node is JOINING, and also rebalancing data with other nodes.
What is the best way to decommission the node?

   1. Can I execute "nodetool decommission" immediately for the new node?
   2. Should I wait for the new node to finish sync, and decommission only
   after that?
   3. Any other quick approach without data loss for existing cluster?

Thanks in advance!

Akshay Bhardwaj
+91-97111-33849