cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Kenneth Brotman" <kenbrot...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject RE: Looking for feedback on automated root-cause system
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2019 18:00:40 GMT
I see they have a website now at https://vorstella.com/

From: Matt Stump [mailto:mrevilgnome@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2019 7:56 AM
To: user
Subject: Re: Looking for feedback on automated root-cause system

For some reason responses to the thread didn't hit my work email, I didn't see the responses
until I check from my personal.

The way that the system works is that we install a collector that pulls a bunch of metrics
from each node and sends it up to our NOC every minute. We've got a bunch of stream processors
that take this data and do a bunch of things with it. We've got some dumb ones that check
for common miss-configurations, bugs etc.. they also populate dashboards and a couple of minimal
graphs. The more intelligent agents take a look at the metrics and they start generating a
bunch of calculated/scaled metrics and events. If one of these triggers a threshold then we
kick off the ML that does classification using the stored data to classify the root cause,
and point you to the correct knowledge base article with remediation steps. Because we've
got he cluster history we can identify a breach, and give you an SLA in about 1 minute. The
goal is to get you from 0 to resolution as quickly as possible.

We're looking for feedback on the existing system, do these events make sense, do I need to
beef up a knowledge base article, did it classify correctly, or is there some big bug that
everyone is running into that needs to be publicized. We're also looking for where to go next,
which models are going to make your life easier?

The system works for C*, Elastic and Kafka. We'll be doing some blog posts explaining in more
detail how it works and some of the interesting things we've found. For example everything
everyone thought they knew about Cassandra thread pool tuning is wrong, nobody really knows
how to tune Kafka for large messages, or that there are major issues with the Kubernetes charts
that people are using.