cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Chris Lohfink <clohf...@apple.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Compact storage removal effect
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2019 17:08:42 GMT
In 3.x+ the format on disk is the same with compact storage on or off so you shouldn't expect
much of a difference in table size with the new storage format compared to compact vs non
compact in 2.x.

Chris

> On Jan 22, 2019, at 10:21 AM, Nitan Kainth <nitankainth@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> hey Chris,
>
> We upgraded form 3.0.4 to 3.11. yes, I did run upgradesstables -a to migrate sstables.

> Here is the table structure:
>
> CREATE TABLE ks.cf1 (
>     key text,
>     column1 timestamp,
>     value blob,
>     PRIMARY KEY (key, column1)
> ) WITH COMPACT STORAGE
>
> CREATE TABLE ks.cf2 (
>     key bigint,
>     column1 text,
>     value blob,
>     PRIMARY KEY (key, column1)
> ) WITH COMPACT STORAGE
>
> CREATE TABLE ks.cf3 (
>     key text,
>     column1 timestamp,
>     value int,
>     PRIMARY KEY (key, column1)
> ) WITH COMPACT STORAGE
>
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 10:07 AM Chris Lohfink <clohfink@apple.com.invalid> wrote:
> What version are you running? Did you include an upgradesstables -a or something to rebuild
without the compact storage in your migration?

> After 3.0 the new format can be more or less the same size as the 2.x compact storage
tables depending on schema (which can impact things a lot).

> Chris
>
> > On Jan 22, 2019, at 9:58 AM, Nitan Kainth <nitankainth@gmail.com <mailto:nitankainth@gmail.com>>
wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > We are testing to migrate off from compact storage. After removing compact storage,
we were hoping to see an increase in disk usage but nothing changed.