cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Durity, Sean R" <SEAN_R_DUR...@homedepot.com>
Subject RE: [EXTERNAL] Regarding migrating data from Oracle to Cassandra.migrate data from Oracle to Cassandra.
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2018 14:58:19 GMT
3 starting points:

-          DO NOT migrate your tables as they are in Oracle to Cassandra. In most cases, you
need a different model for Cassandra

-          DO take the (free) DataStax Academy courses to learn much more about Cassandra
as you dive in. It is a systematic and bite-size approach to learning all things Cassandra
(and eventually, DataStax Enterprise, should you go that way). However, open source Cassandra
is fine as a data platform. DSE gives you more options for data models, better administration
and monitoring tools, support, etc. It all depends on what you need/want to build/can afford

-          Cluster sizing depends on your goals for the data platform. Do you need lots of
storage, lots of throughput, high availability, low latency, workload separation, etc.? A
couple guidelines – use at least 3 nodes per data center (DC) and at least 2 DCs for availability.
Use SSDs for storage and keep node size 3 TB or less for reasonable administration.  If six
nodes are too many – you probably don’t need Cassandra. If you can define what you need
your data platform to deliver, then you can start a sizing discussion. The good thing is,
you can always scale (as long as the data model is good).

Sean Durity

From: sha p <shatesttest@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2018 9:21 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Regarding migrating data from Oracle to Cassandra.migrate data from Oracle
to Cassandra.

Hi all ,
Me new to Cassandra , i was asked to migrate data from Oracle to Cassandra.
Please help me giving your valuable guidance.
1) Can it be done using open source Cassandra.
2) Where should I start data model from?
3) I should use java, what kind of  jar/libs/tools I need use ?
4) How I decide the size of cluster , please provide some sample guidelines.
5) this should be in production , so what kind of things i should take care for better support
or debugging tomorrow?
6) Please provide some good books /links which can help me in this task.

Thanks in advance.
Highly appreciated your every amal help.

Regards,
Shyam